Road Closure’s-

Copy of Road Works Bulletin 2021-03-04 to 2021-03-14


As we venture out for walks more often in these uncertain times, here is a quick reminder of the types of rights of way we have from Councillor Graham.

Types of Right of Way

There are four types of right of way which have different access rights. Each is maintained with these public rights in mind.

A footpath

A footpath is a highway over which the public has a right of way on foot only.

Horse riders & cyclists have no right to use footpaths, and if they do so they are committing a trespass against the owner of the land. If use of a footpath by riders becomes a nuisance the local authority can ban them with a traffic regulation order. This makes such use a criminal offence rather than an act of trespass, which is a civil offence.


Footpath colour yellow

The Cotswold Way disc has added labels and an acorn logo.


A bridleway

A bridleway is a highway over which the public has a right of way on foot, horseback and bicycle.

Walkers should be given priority. Cyclists should give priority to walkers and Horse riders.

Bridleway Colour blue

Where the Cotswold Way follows a bridleway, the disc has an acorn logo and added label.


A byway

A byway open to all traffic (BOAT) is a highway over which the public has a right of way on foot, horseback or bicycle and by vehicle of all kinds, including horse-drawn and motorised vehicles.

“In England and Wales the ‘green lanes’ we ride are roads classified as Byway Open To All Traffic (BOAT or Byway for short) and Unclassified County Roads (UCR).”  TRF Glos.

Byway Colour plum or red



A restricted byway

A restricted byway allows right of way on foot, on horseback, riding a bicycle or using any other vehicle that is not mechanically propelled, for example a horse and carriage.

Restricted byway colour purple

Useful references are:

Highways Act 1980, Section 130

Countryside Act 1968 section 27

Public Rights of Way Officer     Sarah Macaulay-Lowe ( 07586 548245)

Maps of footpaths are found on the Glos. County Council website.  Go to “Highways”, then “Public Rights of Way”, look right for the “online map”, and zoom in to the area that you want.